FSSAI Registration- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare established an autonomous body in August 2011 under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which is basically a consolidated act related to food safety and regulation, containing 7 older acts, called Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
New Delhi is the headquarters of FSSAI and Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Kolkata, Cochin, and Chennai being its regional offices, all of them, together with handling 14 referral laboratories, 72 State and UT Laboratories and 112 NABL accredited Private Laboratories.
It is an authority that registers and licenses the Food Business operators by checking the adherence to the rules and regulations already set and set down rules and regulations if required.
Business operators who are in adherence with the rules and regulations under Food Safety and Standards Act get a 14- digit License number issued by FSSAI, which along with the FSSAI logo has to be imprinted on the food items.
There are three types of licensing which differ on the scale of operation of the business:
- Basic Registration- Basically for a small business whose revenue is less than 12 Lakhs.
- State License- For a business whose revenue is Between 12 lakhs to 20 Crores.
- Central License- For a business whose revenue is more than 20 Crores.
Licensed/ Registered Food Business Operator who is being licensed or Registered by FSSAI under Food Safety and Security Act has to adhere to the rules and regulation set under the said act, which on regular basis are inspected by Food Safety Officer by conducting an inspection of the facility and level of compliance with a checklist containing four levels:
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable
The license of the operator might be canceled if they fail to comply with the Improvement Notice served to them under Section 32 of Food Safety and Security Act, if aggrieved can file an appeal to the jurisdictional Commissioner of Food Safety, after which the decision can be challenged on Appellate Tribunal or High Court of the State.
There are other than legal benefits of getting the business licensed/ registered by FSSAI, such as:
- Awareness amongst the consumer- As compared to past, current days consumer are very well aware and knowledgeable about the quality of the food they are consuming and with the demands of healthy and safe food increasing, being registered under FSSAI will create accountability and reassurance in the mind of consumers that the quality of the food is good and it is safe for them to consume it. It will create loyalty from the customer’s side and hence increase business.
- Public Acceptance- With FSSAI licensing/ registering the business, it creates a by default declaration that the food is safe for consumption by the public and creates public acceptance of the business as the Government officially approves of it.
- Expansion of Business- Reputation and Goodwill automatically builds up with FSSAI License/ Registration which can be henceforth put to use to expand the business in new direction very easily as it helps in getting bank loans and funding for the business.
PROCESS OF REGISTRATION
Form A for Registration and Form B for Licensing is to be filled on the basis of the annual turnover of the Business.
The procedure to get FSSAI licensed or registered is
- Fill the application form on the FSSAI website with all the food business details
- Your form will be created after the business operator sends all the documents required through the email mentioned on the site.
- The application along with documents will be filed to local Food Business Officer by the professional like an advocate , CA and CS.
- After the inspection and regular follow-up, the license will be mailed to the business operated by the department.
Few documents that need to be given for verification of ownership and to proof the validity of Food Business Operator during the time of FSSAI licensing are:
- Pan Card/ Aadhar Card
- Passport Size Photo
- Latest Utility Bill
- Copy of Rent Agreement of the registered office
- Copy of property papers
- Duly Filled Form which needs to be signed by directors/proprietor/partners/ Executive member of any society.
- FSMS declaration
- Nomination in Form IX
- Self-Declaration by Director
- Affidavit on Non-Judicial Stamp Paper
For State License
- Blueprint or layout of the entity
- List of Equipment and Machinery which are installed or which are to be installed at the premises.
- Authority letter
For Central Licenses
- IEC (Import Export Code).
- Annual turnover proof
- MOA & AOA
- List of Directors.
- List of products
- Declaration and affidavits as requird under the Act.
- Other documents
ANY OTHER INFORMATION
There is a minute difference between FSSAI REGISTRATION and FSSAI LICENSE, the former is generally used for food business who sell or manufacture as a petty retailer/ hawker/ vendor/ temporary stallholder whereas the latter is for the Business operators who do not fall under the petty business category and have a yearly turnover of more than 12 Lakhs and the presence of the business in one or more states.
LetsComply is a full-service law firm and is the best platform for all your Legal, Finance and Taxation needs. In today’s digital era of future-proof vision for technology escalation in the domain of legal and finance, possessed with a natural flair for trespassing the convolutions of business needs with unvarying attention and continual learning curve, we bring to you the concept of Virtual Intelligence by way of Virtual CFO (vCFO) and Virtual General Counsel services to enable accelerated growth to your business by managing both legal and finance activities, a vital and technical but very important function for any business. We are a team of experienced Chartered Accountants, Company Secretaries, Cost Accountants, Corporate Lawyers, Management Experts, IP Attorneys and Technologists, who are ready to assist you as per your convenience.
For more information, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
SERVICES PROVIDED BY US:
Foreign Investment in India| Setting-up of Business in India |Virtual CFO| Virtual General Council| NCLT Matters | IBC matters| Income Tax | GST Registration & Returns |Trademark registration | Company Registration | LLP Registration |NGO| Company Annual Compliances | Drafting & Vetting of Agreements |Opinion & Advisory on Different Issues| FSSAI Licenses| ESI & EPF | ISO certification |Shop & Establishment Registration |MSME Registration| SEIS/MEIS Services| DGFT| Legal Notices